Indie Bands for Real Indie Fans
Sometimes the trade-off of discovering a unique new band is the hope that it won’t get overplayed again and again on the local radio. You don’t want them to be too mainstream, yet not completely bizarre with downright jumbled sounds. But when you are open to fresh new sounds and keep an open mind, then you just might discover the hidden gems of what could be your new favorite band. To get your research flowing, it’s fun to browse around some of the playlists compiled in iTunes as a way to discover brand new, or even older groups and artists that flew under the radar that could end up being your new favorite! Some popular Indie bands that happen to be a few favorites to Pink and Black, and are making quite the emergence are:
- Foster The People – Quickly taking over with their first debut album “Torches” with the popular single “Pumped Up Kicks.”
- Bon Iver – His newest self-titled album in June goes to new heights with alluring instrumentals and acoustic sounds. Give a listen to “Minnesota, WI.”
- Yeasayer – A group with stunning vocal ability with a tribal/folk feel. Listen to “O.N.E.”
- Beirut - Their knack for musical innovation and creativity in this day in age is seriously refreshing. Look out for the release of their new album “The Rip Tide” due to debut August 2nd.
- Toro y Moi - This pair incorporates unique electro/acoustic upbeat sounds that are nothing but unique which make them quite the catch. Give a listen to “Blessa.”
- Generationals – This quirky group gives a release of catchy, feel-good pop sounds and melodies that put you at ease. Check out their most recent album “Actor-Caster.”
- Sun Airway - With a vocalist similar to that of Chris Martin of Coldplay, this duo combines an indie/pop combination to perfection with intelligent and meaningful lyrics. Check out “Put The Days Away.”
- Two Door Cinema Club - Check out their single “Something Good Can Work” off their album “Tourist History.”
- Lyyke Li - This quirky gal resembles a more mellow version of M.I.A., give a listen to “Get Some.”
- Explosions in the Sky – For a throwback, this band from the early 2000’s just came out with a new album “Take Care, Take Care, Take Care” making every song a unique listen.